Green Chile Mac and Cheese
I love Green Chile! But twelve years ago, before moving to Pueblo? I have to admit (sadly) that Green Chile was nothing to me, aside from the weird looking sauce poured over my burrito when the local Mexican Restaurant in my Nebraska hometown messed up my order and put green sauce instead of red. But the past few years? It’s become a regular staple in our diet, buying a huge bag each year at Chile Fest and then using it throughout the year!
Mac & Cheese is a favorite in our house, of course that’s not surprising since I have a six year old! I’ve always added veggies in to sneak them into her diet – broccoli, peas and green beans being her favorite. But a few months ago I decided to try Green Chile, and what I got? Was a winner! It’s a bit spicy for my six year old, but this is my perfect “Grown Up” Mac N Cheese! (Super bonus? It freezes well! So you can just reheat later!)
If you don’t have a reserve of Green Chile in your freezer, and it’s not Fall in Pueblo? (Where we are fortunate enough to have chile’s roasting at the local grocery store/wal mart!) Then you still have several options for your chiles! My favorite option is to buy from from one Pueblo’s Farms! (Most all of them have online ordering, if you’re not from the area!) Musso and DiSanti are two of the local farms that offer online ordering! Or, you can order frozen product from Amazon as well, but those are mostly New Mexico Hatch Chiles. (Which are still good, but we’re partial to the Pueblo Chile!)
- 4 oz. elbow macaroni noodles
- 3 qts. water
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 1/4 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3/4 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 Cup Green Chiles
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- bread crumbs for topping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large pot bring the water to boil, add the noodles. Cook the noodles until they are just a slight bit “crunchier” than you desire your mac n cheese. (I find that if I undercook the instructions by about 2 minutes, it makes for the PERFECT Mac N Cheese once baked!)
- In a large skillet melt the butter over low heat. Slowly add in the flour, whisk then cook for 3-4 minutes. Slowly add in the milk while whisking. (Whisk regularly to avoid clumping.) Cook for 5 minutes, sauce will thinken. Add in the sour cream, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Stir in both cheeses and green chiles. Add the noodles and mix until all noodles are coated generously with the mixture.
- Transfer your mixture to a casserole dish, top with bread crumbs and then bake -uncovered- for 25 minutes. Switch your oven to broil and cook an additional 4-7 minutes to brown the top.