The Pueblo Slopper
We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Recently while brainstorming upcoming posts for All Things Pueblo, we both realized that we were having a lot of fun making Green Chile Recipes for the blog, and it came up that I had never tried a Slopper! (I know, having been in Pueblo for 14 years? This was a bit crazy! I love all things green chile – is it too late to rename this website?? Yet somehow, I’d never tried a Slopper!) (And if you stick with us for a minute, we’ve got a recipe for the All Things Pueblo Slopper at the bottom of this post!)
A few years back the Slopper (and Gray’s Coors Tavern and Sunset Inn) were featured on the Travel Channel’s Food Wars show! And every year Chile Fest is full of vendors selling their version of the Slopper! (And the Pueblo Chamber of Commerce even made their own video, featuring 25 restaurants locally that serve Sloppers!) So I decided it was finally time to try one! (I went with Gray’s Coors Tavern for my first, and it was DELICIOUS! But there will be more Sloppers in my future, for sure!)
So before I share our recipe with you guys, let’s look at what a Slopper is! (Because I even asked on Facebook where your favorite place to get a Slopper is, and we had a few people ask what they were – so a definition is a must!)
A Slopper at it’s basic? A Cheeseburger smothered in Green Chili, topped with onions and cheese.
But there are so many different versions of this fantastic meal! (Pueblo Pulp has a video with this AMAZING version, using a local BINGO Burger as their beef and Papa Jose’s Green Chili for the ULTIMATE Slopper! Oh My Gosh!! I need to try this one!!) Serious Eats posted a recipe for their version, which also looks AMAZING! (My family is going to get so sick of Sloppers as I try all these recipes!)
In hunting, I even found Best Burger Review, which lists Pueblo among the “Four Cities with Iconic Burgers“! (Ok, I just think it’s kind of awesome that there’s a website dedicated to nothing but burgers! It’s making me giggle just a little!)
So now it’s time to share our version of the Slopper with you!
- Your Favorite Hamburger Recipe
- Toasted Hamburger Buns
- 1/4 Cup Diced Onions
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Recipe for All Things Pueblo Green Chili
- 1 1/2 pounds of diced pork (or hamburger)
- 6-8 Pueblo roasted green chilies, skin removed, cut into small pieces
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup of flour (approx.)
- 30 ounces of water or chicken broth (your choice)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup of diced fresh tomatoes or 1 (12 ounce) can of Rotel tomatoes & chilies
- 1 teaspoon cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
- In large skillet brown pork in oil, until the meat is slightly pink.
- Add onion and garlic, cook until they become soft. Add flour and stir, browning flour like if you were making gravy.
- Add water (or chicken broth) slowing and keep stirring until it’s bubbling.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil, then turn heat to low.
- Make your favorite Hamburger Recipe (we prefer them grilled!)
- Toast your Bun
- Set Assembled Hamburger in a bowl (yes, you need a bowl!)
- Pour Green Chili over top of Burger
- Top with Diced Onions and Shredded Cheddar Cheese